Handy Energy Saving Tips While Using The Refrigerator
The invention of refrigerator may well be called a boon, specially, for the heat stricken masses of humid areas like those of India. Sultry summers in this region cause much discomfort to people and it also becomes impossible to keep food fresh for long. Earlier people would use earthen pots as their own natural devices to keep water cool and food fresh for long. However, it took very less time for refrigerators to find a place in our kitchens once they were introduced in India.
Over time, with advancements in technology, various improvements have been made in refrigerator design and structure, all of them aimed at making them more and more energy efficient and environment friendly. This has been made possible by using newer coolants and by using more effective compressors and motors.
In order to help consumers make an informed choice with regard to energy consumption, refrigerator price of these devices, the government labels them with BEE star rating on the basis of energy consumption. When you compare refrigerators, you will realise that higher rated appliances may be marginally more expensive as compared to the ones on the lower wrung but in the long run they turn out to be cheap taking into consideration the savings accrued on energy bills.
But apart from this, there are various ways in which one may ensure that they do not leave a big carbon footprint. These are listed below:
- Replace the rubber gasket on the door- Over time the rubber seal on the door gets worn off and becomes inefficient in ensuring an air packed environment. This means that the refrigerator has to work harder to maintain the same levels of temperature inside as there is a lot of interference from the outside environment. Many people overlook this basic point which costs them a lot on their energy bills.
- Keep the refrigerator away from high heat sources- It is advisable to position the refrigerator such that it is away from all devices emanating heat and also from direct sunlight. This is because in presence of such heat sources the compressors is forced to go on an over-drive for extended periods which takes a toll not just on the energy bills but also on the life of refrigerator.
- Clean up the condenser coils- The condenser coils on the back of the refrigerator often accumulate dirt on them which makes them work extra hard for maintaining the same temperature levels. In order to avoid this one must keep them clean and tidy.
- Avoid keeping hot items- Before keeping anything in refrigerator ensure that it is cool to at least room temperature so as to avoid adding any heat to refrigerator. It is preferable to wrap food items before putting them in refrigerator.
- Keep the door closed- Do not keep the door open while the appliance is not in use as it results in increased heat inside the refrigerator and the compressor has to work hard to compensate for this heat.
- Keep the refrigerator clutter free- This helps as you can find items easier and thus it would not be needed to keep the door open for long. Also keeping the top shelf less accumulated ensures that air is not trapped and is circling throughout the device without obstruction.
- Be careful in setting refrigerator temperature- Even raising internal temperatureby 1 degree translates to a lot of savings on energy bill. Very low temperatures are not even needed to keep food fresh. Thus, temperature must be carefully set to ensure freshness of food and savings on energy consumption.
By following these seven easy steps to increase the efficiency of your refrigerator, you can reduce your energy consumption and save quite a bit of money on your electric bill each month.
About The Author
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.