How To Tip Around The World
Tipping in different parts of the world may sometimes be confusing. It is hard to determine what the particular tipping requirements of a country are. To erase all doubts, here are some tips on tipping around the world:
1. Cambodia – $1 to $2 dollar tip in hotel, restaurants and taxis are the norm. Tour guides get $10 to $20 tip for a whole day’s work.
2. China – tipping is not allowed because service charges are added at the bills. If you must tip, make sure it is out of employers’ sight.
3. India – Paying in Rupees is appreciated more than dollars. Fifteen percent tip is standard in restaurants.
4. Indonesia – Ten percent service charge is added to hotel and restaurant bills. Tipping is not necessary but giving a dollar here will not hurt.
5. Japan – tipping is not required. If you do tip, pay in yen. To be safe, always place tip in an envelope. 5,000 yen tip is customary in hotels.
6. Malaysia – ten percent service charge is already included in the bill. Tipping is not necessary but it does not hurt to give a dollar or two.
7. Pakistan – The standard tip rate is 5 percent. But it is not required.
8. Philippines – a 10 percent service charge is already included in hotel and restaurant bills. Leaving additional tip is discretionary.
9. Singapore – a 10 percent tip is the acceptable standard.
10. Thailand – $1 to $2 tip will suffice.
In Australia and New Zealand, 10 to 15 percent is the standard tipping rate.
1. Belgium – a 10 percent tip is customary.
2. Czech Republic – a 15 percent tip is standard.
3. Estonia – a 5 to 8 percent tip is acceptable.
4. France – service charge is already added to the bill. However, if you must tip, 10 percent is the standard rate.
5. Italy – a 10 percent tip is expected.
6. Germany – 10 to 15 percent is customary. They also prefer to be paid in Euros rather than dollars.
7. Greece – just round up the bill. If the bill is 17 dollars then make it 20 dollars.
8. Switzerland – a 15 percent service charge is already added to the bill. However, if the service is excellent, you can always opt to add a little more around 5 to 10 percent.
9. UK – service charges are already included in the bill. If not, 10 to 15 percent tip is acceptable.
1. Canada – 15 to 20 percent is expected since service charge is not included in the bill.
2. USA – tipping is required. The standard rate is between 15 and 20 percent.
Contributed by ezCater. ezCater is the easiest, most reliable way to find and order Seattle Catering.