Top 10 Essential Christmas Decorations
As the days begin to get shorter and the nights draw in, winter is only around the corner and Christmas will be here before we even know it! Whilst Christmas party menus and event flyers are starting their circulation of offices, pubs and restaurants, shops will soon be stocking the latest decorations to give your home and dinner table that festive feeling.
Can’t decide how to decorate your house for the festive season? Here is a list of the top ten essential and most treasured Christmas decorations that it seems we couldn’t celebrate Christmas without!
1) Christmas tree. Most importantly, the first piece of the puzzle is to find the perfect Christmas tree. Whether synthetic or the real deal you have lots of choices from sparkly black trees to the lovely fresh smell of pine needles from your very own handpicked tree: be as traditional or as glitz and glam as you like!
2) Let there be light! Once you have picked your perfect tree then you can begin to decorate it! Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without lighting up your tree with an array of mini lights. Keeping them plain and simple or opting for a splash of colour, you can create the perfect festive mood with static or flashing lights, adding sparkle to your Christmas tree.
3) Baubles and balls. With a variety or Christmas ornaments to choose from, decorating your tree has never been so exciting! Choose from classic glass baubles to angels and stars and all of your favourite Christmas characters. Christmas ornaments set a theme for your tree and can complement your living area by being as sparse or frivolous with them as you wish.
4) Santa Baby. Christmas wouldn’t be complete without a Christmas stocking for Santa to fill with lots of treats. Decorate your home by having your stockings hanging by the fire, you could even customise them with all of your names, so there is no arguing over who gets which little surprises come Christmas Day!
5) Christmas Wreaths. Get creative and try your hand at a homemade Christmas wreath or buy one to welcome people into your home during the festive season. Place your wreath on the front door of your home, chose from either a wreath made out of ivy leaves and berries or go for a modern twist with an artificial wreath in your colour of choice.
6) Christmas Garlands. Garlands are perfect for decorating staircases, on top of the fireplace and around your home. Create a sense of warmth and joy with a variety of Christmas Garlands, from a traditional, lovely smelling pine and apple berry garland to an artificial snow dusted garland that will add the perfect Christmas touch to your home.
7) Christmas Candles. From reindeer inspired candle holders to scented snowman shaped candles, decorate your table with Christmas candle holders and candles.
8) Nutcracker. Nothing inspires the spirit of Christmas than the classical Nutcracker ballet. Add a bit of fun to your Christmas decorations with a wooden figure of a Christmas nutcracker.
9) Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! Snow globes are a treasured Christmas decoration which adds the finishing touch to your home, whilst adding a bit of fun. From traditional to light-up designs you won’t be short of choice to entertain your guests!
10) Away in a manger. Christmas scenes set the traditional tone of Christmas and Baby Jesus. Celebrate his birth by including a decorative manger scene in your home.
Christmas is the one time of year where we can really relish a bit of indulgence and go all out in enjoying some festive fun. So get into the spirit and have fun choosing lots of great Christmas decorations to get you and your family ready for the festive season.
Written by Sam Luther, an experienced blogger and homemaker, passionate about celebrating the festive season