Top 5 Online Dating Rules
1. Include a photo that looks like you. Often times, people will select a photo to upload that of them that isn’t exactly easy to recreate. Perhaps they had a professional photo shoot or just happened to look extra special that day. While these pictures are fine to include on your profile, it’s best to select a default picture of yourself that is more realistic. You won’t have a team of hair and makeup artists on call the day of your first date, and putting unattainable photos on your profile will only lead to disappointment on your date. When you first meet someone in person you want them to think, wow she looks better than in her photos, not the other way around! Bonus tip: Don’t include photos of cars, pets or landscape shots in your profile. People don’t want to date your dog or your car, they just want to see you!
2. Don’t spend too much time talking online. Remember that the point of online dating isn’t to find a pen-pal. A few chats or email exchanges that lead to text messages and phone calls is enough to determine if you want to spend any time with the other person in real life. It’s all too easy to get caught up in a fantasy of what you want him or her to be like, but you won’t know the truth until you’re face to face.
3. Know what you’re looking for. There are online dating sites that cater to any preference you could possibly have! Because of this, many people fail to sign up for the right dating site for them and end up disappointed because they didn’t find what, or who, they were looking for. Make sure your goals align with the site you choose? Are you interested in casual dating? Long term? Are you hoping to find someone with the same religious beliefs as you or speaks a different language? There is something out there for everyone, you just have to find it!
4. Manage your expectations. Online dating isn’t a guarantee that you’ll find someone and fall in love right away. Dating is still dating, whether online or off. Along the way, you’ll meet people you like a lot and people you never want to see again. It’s the name of the dating game. Keeping your expectations realistic will prevent disappointment from setting in after a bad date, and will keep you from being frustrated when you feel like there is nobody you like online…give it time!
5. Have an open mind. The best thing about online dating is that it allows you to meet people you otherwise never would have. To take advantage of this, don’t limit yourself! Take a chance and go out for coffee with someone you might not have given a second look to in real life and you never know what could happen. Remember that the more you put into online dating, the more you will get out of it.