Tips For Hiring A Caterer When Your Guests Have Food Allergies
Hiring a caterer is a great idea when you are hosting an event because you will be able to serve your guests delicious food, without having to run around and prepare and present it all. The caterers will take care of everything so that you can relax and enjoy the party.
However, it can sometimes be difficult to provide food when some of your guests have food allergies or other dietary restrictions. You want to make sure that your guests will have something to eat at your party; even if they are allergic to gluten, lactose or something else.
When hiring caterers for a party where guests have food allergies, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- You can’t accommodate for people if you don’t know about their allergies, so when you send out your invitations you can make a note asking people if they will let you know about their dietary restrictions when they RSVP. This will help you plan ahead for their needs.
- If you are not sure, ask your guests about how severe their allergies are. For example, some people simply can’t eat gluten and others cannot even eat a piece of fruit which was chopped on the same surface as a loaf of bread.
- If your guests are very sensitive, you will need to let the caterers know so that they can prepare some food separately and keep preparation areas and equipment designated as allergen free.
- Speak with the caterers in advance and let them know about all dietary restrictions and sensitivities. They will need to know in advance so that they can prepare.
- Some of your guests might have a life threatening allergy, such as to peanuts, walnuts, shellfish or eggs. This can cause the throat to swell up or severe hives all over the body. If this is the case, the caterers need to know the severity of the allergy so that they can ensure that the food prepared does not include this ingredient.
- Remember that simply removing nuts from the top of a dish might not be enough, because the tiny traces can still be enough to cause a severe reaction.
- A nominated catering staff member should know all of the ingredients of all menu dishes, or have the information readily accessible on a card for guests to look at. Dishes should also be labelled clearly with warning signs if they contain allergens.
As long as your caterers are informed and prepared, you should easily be able to host a party where everyone can have their fill of great food, including your allergic guests.
Catering for a party where your guests have food allergies can be difficult, so here are some tips to keep in mind. For more information about catering, visit www.wrightchoicecatering.co.uk.